June 10, 2018
They’re long and low to the ground. They’re loyal and lovable.
We’re talking about the Dachshund. PetCenter always has Dachshund puppies for sale and today we’re sharing some facts about these pups!
- They were the first Olympic mascot for the Munich Games in 1972!
- Dachshund puppies have long lifespans. There was a Doxie named Chanel who lived in New York. She held the Guinness World Record for the oldest living dog, in 2009. When she died she was at the age of 21!
- The AKC first recognized the Dachshund breed in 1885 and they were originally only black and tan and one size. The Dachshund now comes in 12 standard colors and three different kinds of markings. They also have two accepted sizes, standard and miniature and their coats can be smooth, long, or wire-haired.
- Their name literally means “badger dog” in German. Their short legs and fierce nature allow them to enter badger dens and take on animals larger than they are in small spaces.
- Dachshund puppies for sale are the 11th most popular breed in America. They are also considered the smallest hound dogs and make wonderful rodent hunters. They also serve as exceptional guard dogs, alerting family members to possible intruders.
- Dachshunds are little big dogs! They are powerfully packed with energy, wit, and affection. They automatically command attention, just with their mere presence alone.
- Standard Dachshund puppies for sale can grow up to 32 pounds, tripling that of the popular mini, which is usually somewhere around 10-12 pounds. In Germany, they come in a third size that ranges right between the miniature and the standard, and they’re called Tweenies.
- They have a reputation for jumping on and off of things, including couches and even the arms of someone holding them. Their little bodies and long backs need to be protected at all times.
If you’re interested in owning one of these uniquely adorable dogs, pop in to PetCenter today!