If you haven’t bought a new puppy in a while, chances are things are different! Get up-to-date with our blog!
Purebred puppies are simply puppies that are bred from two dogs of the same breed. This is often proven with registration paperwork from the different companies, like AKC, CKC, ACA, etc. If a dog is not purebred, it is considered to be a hybrid or mixed breed (commonly referred to as a mutt). Hybrid puppies are deliberately bred from two purebred dogs that are different breeds, hence the term designer, which implies a bloodline created by mixing purebreds.
Mixed breeds are generally bred from two dogs of blended breeds and their bloodlines are usually not as traceable.
If you are in the market for a purebred puppy, PetCenter is a great place to find it because PetCenter puppies only come from 2 sources, which are:
- USDA licensed breeders and distributors with no direct violations on their latest inspection report who have a veterinarian-documented socialization and exercise program and follow veterinarian protocol for skin, coat, nail and dental hygiene.
- Hobby breeders as defined by the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), who raise their dogs in a humane manner.
With over 45 years of experience in responsible pet sourcing, PetCenter has developed state-of-the-art standards for its retail pet stores. This means you can trust our choices in breeders not only because of our standards, but also because of the USDA’s oversight.
The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), a division of the USDA, is tasked with the important job of inspecting the professional puppy breeding kennels that PetCenter partners with, under the guidelines of the AWA.
The AWA requires compliance in these areas:
- Proper identification of all animals.
- Proper record keeping of veterinarian visits, protocols, health checks and certificates, vaccinations, and de-worming.
- Documentation of pets purchased or sold with proper age records.
- Housing (indoor, outdoor, and sheltered) is checked for soundness of construction, impervious nature of materials, ventilations, temperature, adequate size, flooring, walls, and safe surfaces.
- Compatible grouping of dogs for safety and socialization.
- All animals must receive adequate exercise, daily feeding and watering, and be housed in a clean and sanitized environment.
- Up-to-date pest control.
- Properly trained staff.
These controls mean that when you purchase a purebred puppy from PetCenter, you can rest assured that from the breeder to our retail stores, we are committed to animal welfare and the quality of our pets.