Mastiffs are massive and there’s no disputing that!
Physically, they can be rather intimidating, but we’re here to tell you that despite their huge muscular bodies, one of our Mastiff puppies for sale can be your loving companion! Check out our available puppies page to see all of our Mastiffs for sale!
Their Ancient History
The Mastiff’s history is a little muddled. According to some accounts, Mastiffs, who are also known as Old English Mastiffs, were brought to England by Roman invaders thousands of years ago. Another theory is that Phoenicians brought them to Britain around the same time. What most can agree on is that they’ve been around for thousands of years. Mastiffs were bred in England for more than 2,000 years as sheepherders, guard dogs, police dogs and companions.
Like so many other dog breeds, World War II almost annihilated most of the Mastiff puppies for sale. Mastiff lovers in America helped to revive and rejuvenate their existence and their numbers steadily rose all around the world. Today, the Mastiff is one of the most popular breeds in the United States.
Opening your home to a massive Mastiff (we just love saying that) is no small feat, especially if you aren’t quite sure if you have the proper amount of space to house one. Let us be clear, they can certainly live in an apartment, so as long as they’re walked and exercised regularly, but they would fair better in larger homes with larger outdoor spaces! They truly make great house pets. Mastiffs very rarely bark or make any noise, sans their snoring snorting! They are gentle giants and you’re likely to come home and find them lazily chilling on the couch catching some zzzzs. They’ll perk up to speak and then retreat.
They are regal and have a quiet dignity about them that gently and naturally commands respect. They’re practically unmatched when it comes to the level of protection they provide for families. For thousands of years, they’ve been used as guard dogs. Comically however, they are more likely to scare off would be intruders simply by their sheer size!
More About Mastiffs
- When you find Mastiff puppies for sale and make your purchase, stock up on some towels as well, because these big boys drool like none other! They’re sweet, but slobbery!
- While you’re at it, get some air fresheners, too! They’re terribly prone to gassiness.
- Because of their natural inclination of protection, they need to be properly socialized with both people and animals. If not, they can become fearful of new situations and leery of strangers.
- Mastiffs have short, smooth coats, but they do shed a lot.
- Their weights range from 150 to 200 pounds and their lifespan is 7 to 10 years.